Tuesday, December 21, 2010

it's time to recognize.

So this has been a long time in coming, but I'm finally getting you all in the loop.  This is something that has been on my heart for a while and I've been trying to be patient and allow God to move in the process. 

About two months or so ago, I was having a conversation with a couple friends about the health of our church.  We all felt this need to DO MORE.  We felt that as the youth of the church, we were being complacent and not using our gifts to the fullest.  But then as we talked more, we realized that this wasn't just an issue within the church but the community as well.  That's how Recognize came into being.

Recognize is a 5 hour prayer meeting/worship service scheduled for January 29, 2011 with a vision to bring not only our church closer together and seeking Christ's plan for us but for bringing our community together to have a more united pursuit of Christ as the body of Christ.

The service will alternate between worship, talks on community, discipleship, missions and spiritual gifts and times of prayer.  Recognize was inspired by a prayer meeting that I attended while in Philadelphia this summer.

The reason I'm just letting you all know about it is because just a week ago was Recognize passed by the Session at church.  They are allowing us to use the sanctuary to hold Recognize and are really excited about how God is going to move through this event.

The biggest thing I need from you who are reading this is to get involved.  I know that some of you are in Harrisonburg and can have a direct hand in getting this off the ground but for those of you who don't have time or are not in the area, I need prayer warriors.  There is so much to be done before January 29 and I need prayers for the people involved, for the organizations and churches we will be inviting to participate with us and for me.  I'm still figuring out how to delegate and give up some things so others can lead.

Recognize is finally a reality.  It's scary and beautiful and overwhelming and exciting.  In fact, the amount of emotion running through my body right now because me want to throw up.  But I was working out today and listening to my iPod and Flyleaf came on.  If you don't know this band, you should but I was listening to their album, Memento Mori and their song "Beautiful Bride" came on.

If you're interested in hearing it, check it out here. The video is a little interesting but it's the lyrics I'm concerned with.

Unified diversity
Functioning as one body
Every part encouraged by the other
No one independent of another
You're irreplaceable, indispensable
You're incredible
Incredible


Beautiful bride
Body of Christ
One flesh abiding
Strong and unifying
Fighting ends in forgiveness
Unite and fight all division
Beautiful bride

Strengthen your arms now

Train your fingers for battle
Urgency's here now
Train your fingers for battle
Fighting this violence
With your feet wrapped in peace
Sad tears and silence
Now screams of joy
Victory

We're not gonna fall and forget

How far You went to pick us up
If one part's hurt the whole body's sick
If one part mourns we all mourn with Him
Rejoice, and we'll sing with you
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah



This is one of the many purposes of Recognize.  We want to be seeking the Lord as unified body of Christ, moving toward Him TOGETHER.  I can't wait to see how the Lord blesses those who are wrecklessly pursuing him.

Thank you in advance for your prayers and participation as we work toward January 29.  The Lord is so good!

Also, for those who are wondering, the Recognize logo at the top of the this blog post was created by my friend, Jeremy Cherry.  Check out his blog, American Jeremy, and check out some of the other stuff he's been designing lately!


2 comments:

TheDonUSC said...

Very interesting! Excited to see where the Lord moves this time! Let me know if I can help at all. You are the bomb.com.

Anonymous said...

AH SO EXCITED!!!!!!! :):):):)