Saturday, November 21, 2009

finally safe.

Life has been ridiculous lately.
So ridiculous.
The funny thing is that I have been growing more than ever and I'm constantly shocked at how God has been revealing something to me every day.

I've noticed more and more recently that God reveals himself to different people very differently. While one my of best friends is definitely a woman of prayer and really hears God speaking to her in the silence, I've found that God really likes to speak through song, which I find is quite appropriate. Earlier this week, I stumbled over a song by Phil Wickham, entitled Safe. The message in this song could not be more appropriate for my life of late.

Here are the lyrics:

To the one who's dreams are falling all apart
And all you're left with is a tired and broken heart
I can tell by your eyes you think your on your own
but you're not all alone

Have you heard of the One who can calm the raging seas
Give sight to the blind, pull the lame up to their feet
With a love so strong and never let you go
oh you're not alone

You will be safe in His arms
You will be safe in His arms
'Cause the hands that hold the world are holding your heart
This is the promise He made
He will be with You always
When everything is falling apart
You will be safe in His arms

Did you know that the voice that brings the dead to life
Is the very same voice that calls you to rise
So hear Him now He's calling you home
You will never be alone

These are the hands that built the mountains
the hands that calm the seas
These are the arms that hold the heavens
they are holding you and me

These are hands that healed the leper
Pulled the lame up to their feet
These are the arms that were nailed to a cross
to break our chains and set us free

Everything about this song reassures me.

I'm being honest when I say that it is really easy for me to forget about God taking care of me. I'm always looking for an immediate answer to my problems and more often than not, I forget to consult God about it at all. I seek out the people in my life to carry the burdens, and to make things better when really God is giving me those opportunities to seek Him out and rely on Him. This song is a perfect reminder of how God wants to carry me. Every time I listen this song, I get chills. Phil Wickham talks about this AMAZING God, one that built the mountains and calmed the seas. Honestly, if I'm not reassured by that, what will reassure me? Obviously, a God that can do all of those things will make sure I'm taken care of and will know exactly what is best for me.

I also stumbled over Psalm 27 the other day. I was upset and when I opened my Bible, it literally fell open to that page.

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evil men advance against me
to devour my flesh,

when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
O God my Savior.

10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD;
lead me in a straight path
because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

Again, this is just another God moment. He knows what I need to hear. He knows what I'm struggling with and He knows that I NEED HIM. I need to make Him the FIRST one I turn to, to offer up things to Him in prayer and let Him take control. More and more I'm realizing that I really want Him to have those things. I want to surrender that control because I know that I'll just mess it up if I try and do it on my own.

My prayer is that God continues to show me what He can do when I let Him take control. He is my comfort and my strength. In Him, I am safe. And I've been looking for that safety in all the wrong places.