Thursday, November 26, 2009

thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm writing this, sitting on my couch, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade by myself.  This is the first time in my life that I have woken up on such a big holiday and not had my family around me.  I will be joining my family at 2 PM for Thanksgiving lunch but I think it's moments like this where I realize more than ever how much I'm growing up and how much my life is changing.

It's funny because I've never been a fan of change.  Normally I cringe at the idea of new things because I thrive in consistency.  But then again, who doesn't in some way?  Being consistent and things staying the same is a comfortable place to be.  It means that where you are is just fine; there's no need to adapt or adjust our lifestyle.

As some of you know, the past four years or so of my life have been the hardest of my life.  Because of that, I've been looking for consistent things in my life.  There was so much change for so long, and most of it was negative.  I think that's really made my mentality of "change is bad" even stronger.

Surprisingly enough, more recently I've decided that I'm don't want to be comfortable anymore.  Being comfortable for me has meant being comfortable with being mediocre.  I've never really pushed myself or wanted to be more.  And the fact is, is that I was created to be more.  I was created to give more of myself, to give ALL of myself, and I've been slighting God for a long time.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.  -2 Corinthians 5:17


This verse pretty much sums it up.  I want to be in Christ; I want my life to be dedicated to Christ.  I want what He wants for me.  And so if I truly want that, He will make me a true creation.  That in a nutshell means I'm not going to be the same.  Change will happen; the old Sara will be replaced by something better.

And while I'm kind of scared out of my mind, I'm excited to see what Christ will do.  I'm excited to see how God uses me to fulfill His will.

I think this is what I'm truly thankful for today.  For God finally getting my heart to place where I'm really ready to accept His call on my life.  To want to change in order to do what He wants.  This is no longer about me.  And it never has been but I've made it about me.  My change comes because I'm in love with an amazing God.  And I couldn't be more thankful to have relationship with that amazing God.

[Food for thought]-
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.  -Hebrews 13:8
(Shouldn't I be finding my consistency in Christ?)

No comments: