Tuesday, January 26, 2010

song of the day #8: the only beautiful thing.

So this evening was one of those evenings where I take too much of my time and peruse iTunes for new music.  Lately, all I've really been listening to is Christian music and so I was determined to find a new CD to add to my collection.

I found some great stuff but nothing that really jumped out to me but I ran across this song called, The Only Beautiful Thing That's In Me by Rush of Fools.  I immediately clicked on the song to preview it because I already had an idea of what it was about.

One of the topics that comes up most often in my Jesus discussions with one of my best friends is how we are absolutely nothing with Christ.  There is nothing good about me without Jesus.  I am nothing worthwhile or of value without him.  That is what this song is all about.


http://fightingtears.deviantart.com/art/Jesus-and-the-Sacred-Heart-20281737

 Check it out:
 
 
Just like the ocean waves
You crash on me
Just like a tidal wave
You ruin me
Just like a hurricane
You devastate everything that needs to change
 
You are the only thing that’s beautiful in me
Beautiful in me
You are the only thing that’s beautiful in me
Beautiful in me

Just like a mountain peak
You lift me up
Just like a desert stream
You fill my cup
And like a heart that beats
You are the blood that covers me
You cover me

And all I can say is thank you, thank you
And all I can say is thank you, Lord thank you
And all I can say is thank you, thank you
 
It says in John 15:5, "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches.  Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit.  For apart from me you can do nothing."
 
Wait, what was that Jesus?  Apart from you I can do nothing?

This concept has become more real to me over the past couple of months.  We are feed those sayings like, "People like you for you!" and "Just be yourself!" from the moment we are born.  But honestly, I hope that people don't just like me for me.  I would be quite lacking.  More and more, I have realized that the only important thing about me is that I love Jesus.  And that's why I want people to "like" me.  Not because I'm "cool" by saying I run with the Jesus crowd, but because they can see Christ in me, doing his work.  I want to represent Christ in everything do and it's only through him that I can do it.
 
I love the lines in the song that talk about Christ devastating us and ruining us.  He does that in order to make us more like him, to get rid of the old and bring in the new.  He breaks us down of the crap in our lives but the beautiful things is is that he doesn't leave us like that.  Just like it states in the second verse, Christ fills us up and satisfies us and makes us an entirely new creation.  Isn't that amazing?!  It blows my mind.

Thank you Christ for making this worthless sinner something of value.

No comments: