Monday, February 1, 2010

song of the day #9: you belong to me.

God has impeccable timing.

Again today I find myself upset and antsy which only solidifies the fact that I need to be spending some time with God and his Word.   I opened my Bible and my eyes fell on Psalm 18.  In my Bible, some of the words are highlighted and have a label of "protection" on them.  Here's what David writes:

I love you Lord; you are my strength.  The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock in whom I find my protection.  He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.  I called on the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies.  -Psalm 18:1-3

 
http://little-me-starfire.deviantart.com/art/protection-133592900

 It's funny that this theme of protection came up today because I was just telling my roommates last night how I feel like I seek out protection in some of my friendships.  And honestly, it's not healthy or wise to do that. 

I stumbled across this song close to a week ago and really loved it.  I immediately put it on a list of songs that I needed to write about.  But as you've noticed, I haven't really been writing much lately.  I guess you could say I've had writer's block with a mix of craziness in my life this week.

The funny thing is while I knew I needed to write about this song, I didn't have anything to really say about it.  I put it on the back burner and now it's clear to me why.  Christ was wanting me to hear this message TODAY, to reminded of his love and protection TODAY, when I most needed it.  Here are the lyrics: 

You Belong to Me- Grey Holiday

You run, you hide
As tears fall from your eyes
They fall like snow
From a wounded soul
You hold inside
The hurt of great divide
The hole is starting to get old

So come back to the light
To the love, you will find
It’s been here all along
So come back to the start
And you’ll find in your heart
That you always belonged
To me

Just take the rope
I won’t let it go
Give in
We can start again
I’m life, I’m hope

And I’m ready to explode
With how bad I want you back home

You’re my daughter, you’re my son
You’re the one I long to love
And you’ve heard I chose to die
Do you know you’re the reason why?


Recently, I've been searching in all the wrong places for protection and safety and love.  Christ is my ROCK, my FORTRESS and my SAVIOR, in HIM I find PROTECTION.  Not my friends, not my family, but Christ.  He is calling me back to him.

I, being the nerd I am, really like think of Christ as this amazing warrior, especially when relating to this passage.  He's decked out in armor with his huge shield and powerful stance and we are standing behind him, completely covered from the on-coming attack.

I also really love the image of Christ speaking the lyrics, "I'm life, I'm hope and I'm ready to EXPLODE with how bad I want you back home."  MAN!  I find that incredible.  It's so, so easy to forget when things get you down how much joy comes from God's promises.  Christ is LIFE.  We can't live it without him.  Without him it worthless and unsatisfying.

Christ LONGS to love us.  And so often we turn from that.  We forget that there is no one more suited to take care of us, to shield us, to protect our hearts.  No matter what happens, even if I find no where else to "belong", I know that I will always belong with Christ.  He has a perfect place for me and his love is more satisfying than anything else I could receive.

Lord my prayer is that you give me the opportunity to trust you with the vulnerability of my heart.  You can mend it, you can heal it, and you can make it whole.  My heart belongs to you.

No comments: